Definition of ring main in English:
1An electrical supply serving a series of consumers and returning to the original source, so that each consumer has an alternative path in the event of a failure.
- He said the new machine would bring significant advantages to people living close to the ring main which circles the city.
- Consumers will benefit from the new gas ring main linking Galway and Limerick to the grid while the Government has decided to extend the gas network to the north west.
- Contractors are working round the ring mains, which vaguely follows the Bradford Ring Road, in an anti-clockwise direction.
2An arrangement of pipes forming a closed loop into which steam, water, or sewage may be fed and whose points of draw-off are supplied by flow from two directions.
- The Trust installed a ring main and new water tanks at a cost of £100,000.
- Work on the Channel Tunnel itself, on the ring main for London's water, and on the Jubilee Line extension, happened out of sight.
- The average cost of the road is expected to be in the region of £750,000 per km of the 3.9km road, with an additional £800,000 for a new river crossing and £350,000 foul water ring main (drainage).
Definition of ring main in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan