(also rinkhals /ˈriNGˌkals/)
Definition of ringhals in English:
A large nocturnal spitting cobra of southern Africa, with one or two white rings across the throat.
- Hemachatus haemachatus, family Elapidae
- And hiding in over 50 varieties of grasses, are snakes: among them the deadly rinkhals and puff adders.
- The Cape cobra and the rinkhals are dangerous, but they tend to be found more inland than along the coast.
- The south African ringhal cobra is the most venomous snake living in the world which could cause the death of the victim within 15 seconds of the attack.
late 18th century: from Afrikaans rinkhals, from ring 'ring' + hals 'neck'.
Definition of ringhals in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan