Definition of ringtail in English:
1Any of a number of mammals or birds having a tail marked with a ring or rings, in particular.
1.1A ring-tailed cat or lemur.
- The mammals the researchers studied were the platypus, echidna, opossum, wallaby, hedgehog, mouse, rat, rabbit, cow, pig, bat, tree shrew, colugo, ringtail lemur, and humans.
- The ringtail lemur, of course, has a beautiful ring tail that they hold up to locate each other in the rain forest.
- The action centered on a longsuffering canine and a ringtail cat with a love of baubles and a habit of causing havoc for his partner.
1.3A golden eagle up to its third year.
2 (also ringtail or ring-tailed possum) A nocturnal tree-dwelling Australian possum that habitually curls its prehensile tail into a ring or spiral.
- Genus Pseudocheirus and other genera, family Petauridae: several species, in particular the common ringtail (P. peregrinus), of southern Australia and Tasmania
- Three species of arboreal marsupials are able to subsist on a diet solely of Eucalyptus foliage: the common ringtail possum, the greater glider and the koala.
- Tree dwelling, leaf-eating species such as the tree kangaroo and the ring-tailed possum were found to be quite resilient.
- Common ringtail possums are strictly nocturnal so food was offered at 1800 and removed between 0500 and 0800 the next day.
Words that rhyme with ringtailspringtail
Definition of ringtail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan