Definition of ripper in English:
1A tool that is used to tear or break something.
- Seam rippers and thread nippers slip nicely into empty prescription pill containers or film canisters.
- To create the reversed pockets featured on the shorts, use a seam ripper to carefully remove the pockets from the jeans, cutting the stitching only and not the fabric.
- However, a seam ripper can work just as well if you follow this simple method: Insert the point of the ripper just inside the bar tack on one side of the buttonhole.
1.1A murderer who mutilates victims' bodies.
- Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire ripper, between 1975 and 1980 mutilated and killed thirteen women, and attempted to murder a further six because he thought God had told him to do so.
- I mean maybe they didn't commit the jack the ripper killings but everything after that, they are guilty.
2 informal A thing that is particularly admirable or excellent.
- They had a ripper of a profits warning back in February, when it said early sales of its revolutionary laser eye surgery equipment would be held back by manufacturing problems and regulatory delays.
- However I can guarantee there are some absolute rippers this year, but I don't want to spoil the proper announcements.
- I've done a couple of rippers recently: for instance, there was Brisbane - Sydney - Middle East - Hong Kong - Istanbul - London, all in two weeks and playing in each place.
Definition of ripper in:
- British & World English dictionary