Definition of ripper in English:
1A tool that is used to tear or break something.
- Seam rippers and thread nippers slip nicely into empty prescription pill containers or film canisters.
- To create the reversed pockets featured on the shorts, use a seam ripper to carefully remove the pockets from the jeans, cutting the stitching only and not the fabric.
- However, a seam ripper can work just as well if you follow this simple method: Insert the point of the ripper just inside the bar tack on one side of the buttonhole.
1.1A murderer who mutilates victims' bodies.
- Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire ripper, between 1975 and 1980 mutilated and killed thirteen women, and attempted to murder a further six because he thought God had told him to do so.
- I mean maybe they didn't commit the jack the ripper killings but everything after that, they are guilty.
2 informal A thing that is particularly admirable or excellent.
- They had a ripper of a profits warning back in February, when it said early sales of its revolutionary laser eye surgery equipment would be held back by manufacturing problems and regulatory delays.
- However I can guarantee there are some absolute rippers this year, but I don't want to spoil the proper announcements.
- I've done a couple of rippers recently: for instance, there was Brisbane - Sydney - Middle East - Hong Kong - Istanbul - London, all in two weeks and playing in each place.
Definition of ripper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia