1(Of a private or a noncommissioned officer) receive a commission.
- During the war he rose through the ranks from an officer school cadet to a major in command of a rifle battalion.
- He graduated from West Point in 1917 and rose through the ranks as an infantry officer.
- He stayed with the brigade, rising through the ranks to chief fire officer, until it was disbanded when the works closed in 1982.
1.1Advance in an organization by one’s own efforts: he rose through the ranks to become managing director
More example sentences
- He joined the airline in the 1980s and steadily rose through the ranks before eventually taking over responsibility for the day-to-day running of the airline.
- The corporation grew rapidly, and she rose through the ranks, becoming the deputy head of the legal department.
- Born in Yorkshire in 1910 she began her political career in the 1940s and rose through the ranks to become Transport Minister.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.