Definition of river in English:
1A large natural stream of water flowing in a channel to the sea, a lake, or another such stream.
- Global warming could devastate lakes, streams, rivers and wetlands throughout the United States.
- In river valleys, water that seeps from canals and fields provides groundwater that can be pumped for various purposes or the water may return to rivers through streams or creeks.
- Water can be obtained from streams, rivers, lakes, or underground aquifers, which are used to supply private wells and public drinking water.
1.1A large quantity of a flowing substance: great rivers of molten lava figurative the trickle of disclosures has grown into a river of revelations
More example sentences
- The young man was sweating profusely; rivers of it were flowing down his pale face.
- I proceeded along the jagged ridges staring down into a river of a boiling red substance.
- There I am running rivers of sweat down my neck, down my chest, down my belly and through my shirt, and I'm dancing harder than I've ever danced to a rock band.
sell someone down the river
- informal Betray someone, especially so as to benefit oneself.[earlier referring to the sale of a troublesome slave to the owner of a sugarcane plantation on the lower Mississippi, where conditions were harsher]Example sentences
- Staff feel they have been sold down the river by the Government.
- And they say they feel they have been sold down the river by their union leaders, who last week accepted a pay settlement involving changes in shift patterns and working practices.
- He has sold us down the river and made our democracy a joke.
up the river
- North American informal To or in prison.[with allusion to Sing Sing prison, situated up the Hudson River from New York City]Example sentences
- You're indicted, convicted and sent up the river.
- Let me be on record as being strongly opposed to sending Limbaugh up the river, even though that is the penalty he wished to inflict on others.
- They're sent up the river for ‘life,’ having all the time in the world to spend together.
- Example sentences
- All Night Radio serve up an escapist's reminder that spring is fast approaching, and we always need music for open windows, top-down convertibles and misty drives on roads rivered with melted snow.
- His bloated face was rivered with veins, like raspberry ripple ice-cream.
- Example sentences
- But, so far as we could discover, the land was riverless, and eternal frost prevailed.
- O'Connor saw for himself the arid, riverless country through which the new railway line from Northam must pass.