Definition of river dolphin in English:
A solitary dolphin with a long slender beak, a small dorsal fin, and very poor eyesight. It lives in rivers and coastal waters of South America, India, and China, using echolocation to find its prey.
- Family Platanistidae: four genera and species
- And behind the beaches are great swathes of mangrove forest and mudflats, home to yet more parrots and macaws as well as scarlet ibis, spoonbills and flamingos, manatees and tapirs, and the rare river dolphin.
- Populations of the Amazon river dolphin are distributed widely in many rivers in the Amazon and Orinoco basins.
- We saw lots of bird life, occasionally a river dolphin which was a thrill.
Definition of river dolphin in:
- British & World English dictionary