Definition of road bike in English:
1A bicycle for use on paved roads as opposed to rough terrain or racing tracks, especially one designed for competitive cycling.
- His Stumpjumper, a cross between a high-tech road bike and a sturdy mountain bike, debuted in 1981.
- Many add such delights as wireless sensors and a dual wheel-size function to allow easy swapping between road bike and mountain bike.
- All the information I received led me to believe that the hills were not as bad as first anticipated so I chose a full time trial bike instead of a road bike.
2A motorcycle that meets the legal requirements for use on ordinary roads.
- Its wheels were thick, like those of a four-wheeler, but the rest of the motorcycle was of the same proportion as a road bike.
- I had to borrow a bike from a mate of mine for the weekend's races, but we didn't manage to get it ready for racing specification in time, as it was a road bike.
- The park manager believes with no licensed tracks nearby, riders have been using the park as a short cut and a race track for their mopeds, quad and road bikes.
road biker noun
- Example sentences
- We're avid road bikers, runners, and skiers.
- Road bikers and mountaineers should avoid polarized lenses because they can't afford to miss the glare from road slicks or patches of boilerplate ice.
- Kerry is a long time road biker who dabbles in mountain biking.
road biking noun
- Example sentences
- My schedule included 1,800 miles of road biking.
- The European road-biking season begins with the 740-mile PARIS-NICE.
- Road biking is not like running, where you have time to take in your environment.
Definition of road bike in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan