Definition of road test in English:
1A test of the performance of a vehicle or engine on the road.
- It's an unusual feeling to get out of a full-sized, heavy-duty crew cab pick-up after a road test and find the old minivan annoyingly cumbersome to park.
- As regular readers will know, I do not believe in writing up road tests on vehicles driven round the block from the local dealership!
- When the time comes every five years or so for these people to buy a new car, they don't trouble themselves with reading road tests, trawling through brochures or comparing prices.
1.1A test of equipment carried out in working conditions: he hopes to present a road test of whiskeys and to debate the various aromas and tastes
More example sentences
- The road tests present a clear-cut demonstration of the possibilities for capacity and economy offered by modern features of locomotive proportioning and design.
- We took the revolutionary BioNav in-car navigation system out for a road test.
1.2A test of a person’s competence in driving a motor vehicle that must be passed in order to get a driver’s license.
- Not to overshadow whatever mood that you're in at this particular moment, but Sunny passed her road test this morning.
- Jaycee hated having to wait to pass her road test until she was sixteen, but it was Michigan law.
- Ian had to go take his road test for his license, but he'd promised to be there later.
verb(road-test) [with object] Back to top
1Test (a vehicle or engine) on the road.
- We may even be road-testing vehicles on similar road conditions for braking power.
- When I'm road-testing a car, I often take it up to Liverpool because it gives me a chance for a long drive.
- They'll also be joined by local personalities who will be road-testing some of the new models at the 2002 show.
1.1Try out (something) in working conditions for review or prior to purchase or release: we road-tested a new laptop computer
More example sentences
- It was road-tested by a Register editor released into the wilds of Essex - he was quickly directed to a nearby hostelry.
- Anyone buying into the extras finds themselves road-testing a technology that is still in a developmental stage.
- The next day I wrote a couple and road-tested them on her in the evening.
Words that rhyme with road testundervest • conquest
Definition of road test in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.