Denoting an animal, especially a horse or cow, having a coat of a main color thickly interspersed with hairs of another color, typically bay, chestnut, or black mixed with white.
- Gualtero rounded the corner leading the horses - his palomino stallion, Sullivan's buckskin mare, and a third horse, a roan mare with a creamy blond mane and tail.
- He reined his roan mare and fell behind his master.
- My mare now turned her head and nibbled at the neck of the roan horse Sidroc rode.
nounBack to top
An animal with a roan coat: the roan on the right is a stallion
More example sentences
- Chuckling at the raised eyebrow from the pretty girl sitting astride the chestnut roan, he replied to her unasked question.
- Sullivan took his buckskin mare's reins and ran a fond hand over the animal's forehead as he eyed the roan.
- In the last couple of days, has anyone come into town riding a roan with a Collins & Morrison saddle?
mid 16th century: from Old French, of unknown origin.