- An unscrupulous plutocrat, especially an American capitalist who acquired a fortune in the late nineteenth century by ruthless means.More example sentences
- Henry Huttleston Rogers, a well-known robber baron who made millions as a vice president of Standard Oil, bought Atlas Tack and brought it to Fairhaven in 1901.
- He has set up a $22 billion foundation, in part to rescue his reputation from the charge that he is a modern-day robber baron.
- The company may be taken over by a robber baron such as Maxwell who clears out the pension fund for his own personal gain.
originally denoting a feudal lord who engaged in plundering.
More definitions of robber baronDefinition of robber baron in:
- The British & World English dictionary