Definition of rock hyrax in English:
An African hyrax that lives on rocky outcrops and cliffs and feeds mainly on grass. Also called dassie.
- Genus Procavia (and Heterohyrax), family Procaviidae: several species
- For example, most grazing and mixed feeding ungulates have hypsodont teeth, but the hippo and the rock hyrax have brachyodont teeth.
- The only animal you are likely to see in the upper alpine zones is the rock hyrax.
- It is a lovely spot and must be one of the quietest places on earth, with no man-made sounds and only a couple of fish eagles and rock hyrax to disturb the silence.
Definition of rock hyrax in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia