- (Of a woodcock) fly on a regular circuit in the evening as a territorial display, making sharp calls and grunts.More example sentences
- I also noted two woodcock roding high overhead.
mid 18th century (in the sense 'fly landward in the evening'): of unknown origin.
nounNautical , North American
- A rope, especially one securing an anchor or trawl.More example sentences
- Some would advise using four anchors two on each rode, with the rodes spread out in a Y.
- How many boats have anchor rodes strong enough to take such a loading?
early 17th century: of unknown origin.