Definition of rodeo in English:
noun (plural rodeos)
1An exhibition or contest in which cowboys show their skill at riding broncos, roping calves, wrestling steers, etc.
- Cade was moving towards the squeeze chute that restrained the cow while the injection was given, the same contraption Erin had seen rodeos use when cowboys mounted the steers.
- Set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, it is the story of a range-hand and a rodeo cowboy who meet in the summer of 1963 and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection.
- May, who lives in a seedy motel on the edge of the Mojave Desert, has for years conducted an illicit affair with a rodeo cowboy named Eddie.
3 (also rodeo flip) (In snowboarding and surfing) an aerial maneuver combining a forward or backward flip with a rotation: her backside rodeo landed her on her back
More example sentences
- This opened the door for Boyd Easley who pipped Jon Olsson to the post in the finals with a difficult trick: switch rodeo 720 mute grab.
- Land more rodeo flips.
- You did the Frontside 540 Rodeo Flip, in '88.
verb (rodeos, rodeoing, rodeoed)[no object] Back to top
Compete in a rodeo.
- He spent his youth rodeoing, riding saddle and bareback broncs.
- The vintage black and white photographs tell the tales of the days when rough stock, rodeoing and breeding great horses ruled the way of life.
- I have great memories from those days, just singing all night long and rodeoing during the day and I like the rodeo group.
- 1not be someone's first rodeo (or not be someone's first time at the rodeo)
- North American Used to indicate that someone is not naive or inexperienced: I’m a professional. This ain’t my first time at the rodeoMore example sentences
- I'm ready for the race. This isn't my first rodeo.
- Well, you know, this is my 13th year in the mayor's office and this is not our first rodeo.
- Strauses Colin and Greg are taking up directing duties here, and while this isn't their first rodeo, it's damn sure their biggest.
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, from rodear 'go around', based on Latin rotare 'rotate'.
Words that rhyme with rodeocardio • radio • video • audio
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.