- 1An actor’s part in a play, movie, etc.: Dietrich’s role as a wife in war-torn ParisMore example sentences
- The film also uses actors not known for quality feature film acting or stage roles.
- Most of the major roles were cast with actors I already knew and with whom I had acted earlier in my career.
- Last she got to play varied kind of roles in films like Kastoorimaan where she had an author-backed role.
- 1.1The function assumed or part played by a person or thing in a particular situation: she greeted us all in her various roles of mother, friend, and daughter religion plays a vital role in societyMore example sentences
- She stopped everything to care for her mother and assumed the caregiver role in the domestic sphere.
- What part of ourselves was lost when we assumed our respective roles?
- During the first part of Hals's career the militia companies continued to play a vital role in the defence of each city.
early 17th century: from obsolete French roule 'roll', referring originally to the roll of paper on which the actor's part was written.