Definition of role playing in English:
1The acting out of the part of a particular person or character, for example as a technique in training or psychotherapy.
- Staff members train surgical teams using two methods: lectures on concepts and principles, and case studies that involve role-playing in simulated crisis scenarios.
- We went through the rules of engagement and orders for lessons using role-playing scenarios.
- Marks mentioned a tactic in this regard of role playing — she sometimes 'becomes the student' and asks the students to teach her.
1.1 Psychology The unconscious acting out of a particular role in accordance with the perceived expectations of society.
- They assumed invented personae via performances and photographs during the '70s, many of them in backlash against the role-playing conformity expected of women in daily life.
- The layers of role-playing and deception add richness and interest to the characters' interactions and complicate the mystery enjoyably.
- Henry is role-playing to regain the sense of order he has lost when he realizes the futility of the war and his lack of place in it.
2Participation in a role-playing game.
- One friend of ours was complaining one day, saying, "I really like role-playing, and I want to do more of it, but I had to drop out of the game I was in because of my boyfriend."
- The game includes role-playing elements.
- The kids in this, who take their RPG into real life, are not geeks, but intelligent kids who enjoy role-playing.
Definition of role playing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.