Definition of rondavel in English:
1A traditional circular African dwelling with a conical thatched roof.
- Martin is justifiably proud of the quality of the construction, thatching, painting and plastering of the rondavels.
- We used to have five rondavels, big land for cultivation and livestock, but when we were removed we lost virtually all of that.
- Upon hearing the shots, the man said he ran from his rondavel and managed to apprehend one of the fleeing suspects, whom he recognised as a relative of Mama who had recently been fired.
1.1A building based on the design of a rondavel, used as a guest room, storeroom, or vacation cottage.
- Accommodation ranges from rondavel huts and safari tents to family bungalows and cottages and luxury guesthouses.
- Many are highly individual in their design ranging from rustic tree houses, to grass roofed rondavels or elaborate tents set under permanent thatched canopies.
- He certainly found it, and ten years ago bought his small corner of paradise and built twenty five rondavels and a restaurant and bar on a small islet opposite.
From Afrikaans rondawel.
Words that rhyme with rondavelHavel, larval, marvel, Marvell
Definition of rondavel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan