- The fleshy enlarged root of a plant used as a vegetable, e.g., a carrot, rutabaga, or beet.More example sentences
- Whether you prefer your beets as a root vegetable, a cooked green vegetable, or as an attractive addition to your salad mix, it's time to explore this nutritious, delicious and versatile crop.
- The taro, an Asian root vegetable, imparted a purple glow to the cup and tasted like melted bubble gum ice cream - pleasant but very, very sweet.
- The onion rings were about as far removed from the original root vegetable as you can get.
More definitions of root vegetableDefinition of root vegetable in:
- The British & World English dictionary