Definition of rose of Sharon in English:
1A shrub of the mallow family, with rose, lavender, or white flowers.
- Hibiscus syriacus, family Malvaceae
- Many books suggest using rose of Sharon in a shrub border rather than as a specimen plant in the yard, but I've noticed that those grown alone develop a much better shape than those crammed in a shrub border.
- Hibiscus syriacus, aka althea and rose of Sharon, should be pruned in early spring just before the leaf buds begin to swell.
2A St. John’s wort with dense foliage and large golden-yellow flowers, native to southeastern Europe and Asia Minor and widely cultivated for ground cover. Also called Aaron's beard.
- Hypericum calycinum, family Guttiferae
- Summer- and fall-blooming shrubs include such plants as abelia, beautyberry, butterfly bush, rose of Sharon, crepe myrtle and summersweet.
- I first noticed the hardy shrub called rose of Sharon while traveling one midsummer across the southern plains.
- She extracts subjects from the text - pomegranates, the rose of Sharon, the ‘lily among thorns ‘- and paints each with a deliberateness that bridges the familiar and the sacred, the tangible and the mysterious.’
Definition of rose of Sharon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia