1A red powder or cream used as a cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips.
- Other women would have their faces powdered and rouge rubbed into their cheeks, but Evy was only planning on putting a little bit of lipstick on.
- Lydia also managed to dot a little bit of rouge on her cheeks and smudge the smallest amount of make-up onto her eyelids despite Sarah's protests.
- For one thing she was wearing rouge on her cheeks and kohl about her eyes.
1.1 another term for jeweler's rouge.
verb[with object] (often as adjective rouged) Back to top
1Color with rouge: her brightly rouged cheeks
More example sentences
- Elagabalus painted his eyes and rouged his cheeks, openly referred to this or that lover as his husband, and allegedly even stood in doorways, shaking the curtains as a harlot would.
- She tossed her blond hair away from her heavily rouged cheeks.
- And finally, in each, the palest cream complexion is dramatically offset by the feverishly high color of expansively rouged cheeks.
Words that rhyme with rougeBruges
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.