Definition of roughy in English:
noun (plural roughies)
1Australian A marine fish with a deep laterally compressed body and large rough-edged scales that become spiny on the belly.
- Family Trachichthyidae: several genera and species, including the small Australian Trachichthys australis, which occurs on rocky reefs, and the orange roughy
- Florida Bay serves as a spawning ground for pretty much every fish in the central Atlantic - grouper, snapper, mahi-mahi, pompano, roughy.
- Orange roughy were found in concentrations in some locations, but underwater pinnacles and other obstructions made trawling very difficult.
- Orange roughy reach 150 years old and they don't reproduce until they're in the mid 20s to mid 30s.
Definition of roughy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan