noun (plural roughies)
- 1Australian A marine fish with a deep laterally compressed body and large rough-edged scales that become spiny on the belly.
More example sentences
- Family Trachichthyidae: several genera and species, including the small Australian Trachichthys australis, which occurs on rocky reefs, and the orange roughy
- Florida Bay serves as a spawning ground for pretty much every fish in the central Atlantic - grouper, snapper, mahi-mahi, pompano, roughy.
- Orange roughy were found in concentrations in some locations, but underwater pinnacles and other obstructions made trawling very difficult.
- Orange roughy reach 150 years old and they don't reproduce until they're in the mid 20s to mid 30s.
- 2 another term for ruff2 ( sense 1).
More definitions of roughyDefinition of roughy in:
- The British & World English dictionary