Definition of roulade in English:
1A dish cooked or served in the form of a roll, typically made from a flat piece of meat, fish, or sponge cake, spread with a soft filling and rolled up into a spiral.
- Low tea is the tea in which crustless sandwiches, petit fours, and salmon roulades are likely to be served.
- Place a slice of roulade on top of each of the brioche rounds.
- For the roulade: On a half sheet pan covered with plastic wrap, lay out the prosciutto slices, slightly overlapping.
2A florid passage of runs in classical music for a virtuoso singer, especially one sung to one syllable.
- Her smallish soprano voice did not have the coloratura roulades or high Cs for Strauss's ‘Voices of Spring Waltzes' Op 410.
- He seemed to relish the fiercely difficult coloratura roulades of ‘Agitata da Due Venti’ from Griselda.
- These vocal roulades evoke the little lad's vacancy as he travels through the night, knowing nothing of his destiny nor even knowing that he doesn't know!
French, from rouler 'to roll'.
Words that rhyme with rouladeAssad, aubade, avant-garde, backyard, ballade, bard, Bernard, bombard, canard, card, charade, chard, couvade, croustade, Cunard, facade, glissade, guard, hard, ill-starred, interlard, lard, Montagnard, nard, pard, petard, pomade, promenade, regard, retard, rodomontade, saccade, Sade, salade, sard, shard, unmarred, unscarred, yard
Definition of roulade in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan