Definition of rove beetle in English:
A long-bodied beetle with very short wing cases, typically found among decaying matter where it may scavenge or prey on other scavengers.
- Family Staphylinidae: numerous genera
- The medical education director said the bugs - more than an eighth of an inch long - belong to the Staphylinidae rove beetle family of insects.
- He offers no evidence except to show that a certain type of rove beetle can produce complex behaviour.
- This dung or carrion mimicry attracts flesh flies, rove beetles, and even mosquitoes, all of which have been observed with pollen on them.
Definition of rove beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.