(also rowan tree)
Definition of rowan in English:
1A mountain ash, in particular the European Sorbus aucuparia.
- Our own native rowan, Sorbus aucuparia, has orange-red berries, which appear in early September and which have largely been eaten by the end of the same month.
- Australians call these mountain ash, but they are unrelated to the rowan and mountain ash of Europe and North America.
- Much of the weed was cleared out to allow easy angling, though plenty of silver birch, rowan, alder, sycamore and pine remain to provide a scenic backdrop.
1.1 (also rowan berry) The scarlet berry of the rowan tree.
- The school grounds, which are according to Eanna ‘excellent - great for safe exploring and very well planted’, served up a wonderful array of elderberries, blackberries, privet berries, haws, rose hips and rowan berries.
- Eriksson and Nummi determined fairly low ethanol contents for rowan berries, rose-hips, and hawthorn fruits in autumn and winter conditions in Finland.
- Blackwell staff are also keen to encourage visually impaired visitors to discover many of the tactile features of Blackwell's home grown Arts and Crafts design - such as the carved oak panelling of rowan berries in the main hall.
Words that rhyme with rowananthozoan, bryozoan, Goan, hydrozoan, Minoan, protozoan, protozoon, Samoan, spermatozoon
Definition of rowan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan