Definition of rubber plant in English:
1An evergreen tree of the fig family that has large dark green shiny leaves and is widely cultivated as a houseplant. Native to Southeast Asia, it was formerly grown as a source of rubber.
- Ficus elastica, family Moraceae
- Suitable specimens include the rubber plant, Ficus elastica ‘Decora’; weeping fig, Ficus benjamina; Dracaena marginata ‘Tricolor’, poinsettias and African violets.
- Plants apparently go out of fashion and Chris and Geoff talked about not being able to buy a rubber plant anywhere in Alice Springs even though they grow really well here.
- The homey Sunday depicts an easy chair draped with a Navajo-style rug and positioned beside a bluish rubber plant, with hints of sky through a rear window: one can imagine sections of the New York Times scattered about the floor.
Definition of rubber plant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.