Turn one’s head to stare at something in a foolish manner: a passerby rubbernecking at the accident scene
More example sentences
- I didn't feel like I was watching the response; I felt like I was rubbernecking.
- Like rubbernecking at the scene of a fatal accident, I am repulsed yet, at the same time, I cannot seem to pull my eyes away.
- But there were delays too on the eastbound carriageway as a result of drivers rubbernecking, which saw vehicles slowing down so their occupants could take a look at the accident scene rather than continuing to drive on.
A person who rubbernecks.
- And as a result, I guess I'm just kind of a rubberneck.
- He never was one for being interested in that kind of thing, he hates rubbernecks with a passion.
- That's one of the many pleasures of baseball - a guy can keep score, never miss a pitch, and still rubberneck at the spectacle in the stands.
- Example sentences
- The film company had blocked off this section of town but there were thousands of rubberneckers wanting to catch a glimpse of the star.
- Like a rubbernecker driving past a horrifically bloody accident, I can't seem to stop myself from watching the carnage.
- Let's face it, we're a nation of rubberneckers, eager to gawk at any accident, smoldering homestead, or decaying corpse as long as it is not our own.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of rubberneck in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.