Definition of rubbing in English:
1The action of rubbing something: dab at the stain—vigorous rubbing could damage the carpet
More example sentences
- Dry your skin by blotting or patting, but don't rub - rubbing may cause damage.
- Your child will have less access to their skin, and damage from scratching or rubbing can be avoided.
- Using a clean soft towel and gently washing instead of vigorously rubbing will lessen any discomfort of bathing.
2An impression of a design on brass or stone, made by rubbing on paper laid over it with colored wax, pencil, chalk, etc.
- He has exhibited all over the world with creations that range from collages and sketches to stone rubbings and oil paintings of such richness and depth that the canvas takes one year to dry.
- He also discusses how the artist absorbed the methods of local craftsmen - such as making charcoal rubbings on paper, usually featuring decorative patterns taken from architectural fragments or reliefs.
- It is tempting to think that the craftsmen who produced the carvings might have been working from designs sourced from rubbings made at the Shengyin Monastery.
Definition of rubbing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.