Wrinkled; corrugated: rugose corals
More example sentences
- The calcareous algae, stromatoporoids, tabulate corals, and rugose corals became conspicuous reef-builders throughout the tropical seas.
- Scientists showed that diseases such as Aucuba mosaic, calico mosaic, latent virus, leaf rolling mosaic, mild mosaic, rugose mosaic, and severe mosaic are viral in nature.
- The leaf texture is quilted, or rugose, because the veins are depressed below the surface.
- Example sentences
- The reassigned material differs from described species of Exostinus (E. lancensis, E. serratus) in terms of the degree of dermal rugosity.
- The tibia is slender but not sinuous, and the fibula lacks a proximal rugosity, both characteristics of Stagonolepis.
- Some rugosity is present on the anterior tips of both fragments, but not on the remainder of the bones as preserved.
Late Middle English: from Latin rugosus, from ruga 'wrinkle'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of rugose in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.