Definition of run interference in English:
1 Football Move in such a way as to provide legal interference interference (sense 1.
- Stubblefield is doing a lot of the dirty work, taking on blockers and running interference so his teammates can quickly close on the running backs.
- But it makes perfect sense if you think of them as blockers, running interference for Wilson.
1.1North American informal Intervene on someone’s behalf, typically so as to protect them from distraction or annoyance: Elizabeth was quick to run interference and said that the professor would be very busy
More example sentences
- In sharp contrast to the technology bust when law firms wanted to trim their ranks, many of today's firms are running interference in attempts to keep their associates from straying.
- Perhaps his worst infraction is this: He gets in the way, running interference to make sure that no other parasite-like creatures can be created on his watch.
- So he continues to lie shamelessly, secure in the knowledge that the mainstream media are running interference for him.
Definition of run interference in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.