Definition of rune in English:
1A letter of an ancient Germanic alphabet, related to the Roman alphabet.
- Oddly enough, I memorized the Anglo-Saxon rune alphabet in high school with a friend of mine so we could pass notes in geometry class.
- He pressed a button, and the runes changed into English letters.
- The original manuscript has the equivalent letters embedded as runes.
1.1A mark or letter of mysterious or magic significance.
- The sword was impressively worked with runes and magic carvings, most of which glowed slightly in various colors.
- Nearly all the stones were cut in perfect spheres each with a rune that marked the element that they represented.
- Every stone of the edifice was marked with a rune, coursing with magical strength.
1.2 (runes) Small stones, pieces of bone, etc., bearing runes, and used as divinatory symbols: the casting of the runes
More example sentences
- I have yet to really read my runes purely intuitively, mainly because I see my runes as the no-nonsense divination tool I have.
- There is evidence that the Norse used runes for divination before the 12 th or 13 th centuries, however.
- Since I read the cards and runes too, maybe divination, thought experiment and fable-telling can all flow together for me.
1.3A spell or incantation.
- A person can go on about sigils, runes and spells for hours in an educated and well read fashion but how far does that match up with personal experience?
- One was using recordings I made of rune meditations and mixing bits from each rune into a word spell.
- She began to speak the ancient runes that would enact the spell and was surprised to see the world around her lighten a few shades.
1.4A section of the Kalevala or of an ancient Scandinavian poem.
- There was a Danish king of that name who was famed for his generosity, to whom the rune poem probably refers.
- The runes were collected by a young poet on his long travels for this very purpose.
Old English rūn 'a secret, mystery'; not recorded between Middle English and the late 17th century when it was reintroduced under the influence of Old Norse rúnir, rúnar 'magic signs, hidden lore'.
- Example sentences
- The scholars contend that parts of his documents seem to be written in a secret runic alphabet used by tradesmen in Sweden in the late 1800s, rather like codes that tramps have used over time to leave secret messages for one another.
- The company name is from the runic alphabet and represents the sun.
- During a new dig, he has now discovered a rare Viking buckle with a ‘wonderful runic design’ dating back to the 10th century.
Definition of rune in:
- British & World English dictionary