Definition of runway in English:
1A leveled strip of smooth ground along which aircraft take off and land.
- Abandoning mixed mode, which means aircraft land on alternate runways, giving people in west London respite for a few hours in the afternoon, was not mentioned in the consultation.
- The EuroCeltic spokesman said he had spoken to the pilot and had been told that the aircraft aquaplaned along the runway before part of it tipped over into the sea.
- The Boeing 777 from Pakistan was taxiing along the runway after landing when the blaze started.
2North American A raised aisle extending into the audience from a stage, especially as used for fashion shows.
- Theirs is not a fashion-show erotic strut down the runway.
- He and model of the moment Lilli strut down the runway to a chunky house bassline.
- To be a world-class runway supermodel you have to know how to throw attitude and apparently in her case - telephones.
3An animal run, especially one made by small mammals in grass, under snow, etc.
- Voles can scar lawns by constructing runways and clipping grass very close to the roots.
- Tiles were placed in the same home range areas for all trials, but in different runways or locations to avoid habituation and previous scents.
- Their ideal habitat is in long grass or scrubland (semi-arid heath) where they make pathways or runways for feeding and escape if disturbed.
4An incline or chute down which something slides or runs.
- In existing installations where the deck saw is located so that it blocks the entrance to the log haul runway, the entrance doorway shall be guarded by a substantial timber or an automatic bar or gate operated by the saw frame to close the entrance while the saw is in operation.
Words that rhyme with runwaysomeway • clearway
Definition of runway in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia