Definition of rutabaga in English:
1A large, round, yellow-fleshed root that is eaten as a vegetable.
- In a large bowl, combine the rutabaga, onions, parsnips, carrots, turnips, celeriac, and sweet potatoes and toss to combine.
- Add the onions, rutabaga thyme, and bay leaf and sauté until translucent.
- Add the celeriac, potato, turnip, rutabaga, and carrots and stir to coat with butter.
2The European plant of the cabbage family that produces this root.
- Brassica napus, family Brassicaceae: ‘napobrassica’ group
- The current arrangement is to call the common white turnip B. rapa; to assign its relatives the swede and rutabaga to B. napus ssp rapifera; and rape, grown for its oil-bearing seeds, to B. napus.
- In years past when I have planted rutabaga only a few have come up, so this year I decided to plant nearly three rows.
late 18th century: from Swedish dialect rotabagge.
Definition of rutabaga in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan