Definition of rutabaga in English:
1A large, round, yellow-fleshed root that is eaten as a vegetable.
- In a large bowl, combine the rutabaga, onions, parsnips, carrots, turnips, celeriac, and sweet potatoes and toss to combine.
- Add the onions, rutabaga thyme, and bay leaf and sauté until translucent.
- Add the celeriac, potato, turnip, rutabaga, and carrots and stir to coat with butter.
2The European plant of the cabbage family that produces this root.
- Brassica napus, family Brassicaceae: ‘napobrassica’ group
- The current arrangement is to call the common white turnip B. rapa; to assign its relatives the swede and rutabaga to B. napus ssp rapifera; and rape, grown for its oil-bearing seeds, to B. napus.
- In years past when I have planted rutabaga only a few have come up, so this year I decided to plant nearly three rows.
Late 18th century: from Swedish dialect rotabagge.
Words that rhyme with rutabagaJaeger, maigre, Meleager, Noriega, Ortega, Sagar
Definition of rutabaga in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.