- The chemical element of atomic number 44, a hard silvery-white metal of the transition series. (Symbol: Ru)More example sentences
- To this group belong the important steel alloying elements nickel and manganese, as well as cobalt and the inert metals ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium and platinum.
- It is also classified with a group of similar metals, including ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, and iridium, with similar properties.
- That porous layer, which contains stabilized zirconia and small amounts of the metals ruthenium and cerium, chemically and cleanly converts the fuel to hydrogen.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from medieval Latin Ruthenia, so named because it was discovered in ores from the Urals.
More definitions of rutheniumDefinition of ruthenium in:
- The British & World English dictionary