Definition of sacerdotal in English:
1Relating to priests or the priesthood; priestly.
- Whoever is actually conducting the services, ordained minister or visiting lay preacher, the pattern is irretrievably sacerdotal, the congregation neither speaking by itself nor performing an action from start to finish.
- The New Testament writers freely mixed and blended legal and sacerdotal metaphors because they understood that neither kind of metaphor completely captures the full mystery of salvation.
- The Holy See forbade clerics to join the new organization, and it implored prelates to observe vigilantly all sacerdotal activities in order to secure the subservience of priests and to rout out rebels and rogues.
1.1 Theology Relating to or denoting a doctrine that ascribes sacrificial functions and spiritual or supernatural powers to ordained priests.
- Although the lay possess no sacerdotal power and rely upon the priest as mediator between them and God, they do assist the priest in offering up the Mass through their collected prayers for the Eucharistic sacrifice.
- Islam does not recognize a sacerdotal priesthood.
- Christian sacerdotal priesthood participates in the priesthood of Christ and administers sacraments which can actually take away sin, which levitical priests could not.
Words that rhyme with sacerdotalanecdotal, teetotal, total
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan