Definition of safe bet in English:
1A bet that is certain to succeed.
- They're the Treasury bonds of the high-roller restaurant world, the culinary equivalent of a safe bet.
- As for stocks, he's sticking to relatively safe bets like Mexican cement maker Cemex, which operates globally, and San Miguel Corp., Philippine beverage company.
- In North America, the majors' choke-hold on the market and radio, and their fear of anything but safe bets means they are throttling themselves into irrelevance.
1.1A thing in which confidence can be placed regarding a future outcome: it is a safe bet that the current owners will not sell
More example sentences
- It is a safe bet that the Kerry campaign would rather have not seen the story-line that a presidential candidate angers his hometown folks.
- It is a safe bet that the decision in Mahjoub's case will make Canada an even more attractive destination for terrorists.
- It is a safe bet that New Labour views the countryside with as much bemused disdain as it did in 1997-except now, they cannot say it.
Definition of safe bet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan