Definition of safe haven in English:
1A place of refuge or security.
- When hostilities began, people piled out of shares and invested in bonds on the grounds that government-backed securities offered a safe haven.
- The Alliance was a soft (or, depending on your point of view) sensible centre, a safe haven between extremes of monetarism and unilateral disarmament.
- More immediately, if we fail to act, no one can predict how far interest rates will rise or whether or when foreign investors will lose confidence in U.S. securities as a safe haven.
1.1Temporary refuge given to a persecuted person or group: refugees poured in and found safe haven
More example sentences
- Now, all of the applicants have been granted class 448 temporary safe haven visas.
- The government's measures are directed at deterring refugees from seeking safe haven in Australia by treating them as harshly as possible.
- Lilley also tells-all regarding how the US embassy gave safe haven to Chinese dissident Fang Lizhi and his wife, Li Shuxian.
Definition of safe haven in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan