Definition of safety pin in English:
A pin with a point that is bent back to the head and is held in a guard when closed.
- Stopped at a security check at the San Francisco airport by three fatigues-wearing guards concerned about a safety pin she was wearing on her sweater, Doyle was delayed for a while.
- For the 2000 Convention in Minneapolis, the staff obviously heard my 1993 pleas and switched from the ‘open’ pin to the safety pin.
- Then, a small, colored tag is affixed to each piece of clothing with a safety pin or staple, and this tag remains attached to the clothing during the entire dry-cleaning cycle.
verb[with object] (safety-pin) Back to top
Fasten with a safety pin.
- Keep the tablecloth there by wrapping a swath of gold lame around your waist and safety-pinning it.
- Maybe you could deck out more conservatively on school days, and don the combat boots and safety-pinned mini-kilt on weekends only.
- Had we tried this last winter, I'm certain the bank would have safety-pinned our mittens to our coats.
Definition of safety pin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.