Definition of safety pin in English:
A pin with a point that is bent back to the head and is held in a guard when closed.
- Stopped at a security check at the San Francisco airport by three fatigues-wearing guards concerned about a safety pin she was wearing on her sweater, Doyle was delayed for a while.
- For the 2000 Convention in Minneapolis, the staff obviously heard my 1993 pleas and switched from the ‘open’ pin to the safety pin.
- Then, a small, colored tag is affixed to each piece of clothing with a safety pin or staple, and this tag remains attached to the clothing during the entire dry-cleaning cycle.
verb[with object] (safety-pin) Back to top
Fasten with a safety pin.
- Keep the tablecloth there by wrapping a swath of gold lame around your waist and safety-pinning it.
- Maybe you could deck out more conservatively on school days, and don the combat boots and safety-pinned mini-kilt on weekends only.
- Had we tried this last winter, I'm certain the bank would have safety-pinned our mittens to our coats.
Definition of safety pin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan