Definition of saffron in English:
1An orange-yellow flavoring, food coloring, and dye made from the dried stigmas of a crocus: [as modifier]: saffron buns
More example sentences
- To make the dressing, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, saffron, raisins and their water with sea salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the chicken, onions, cilantro, saffron, cinnamon, butter, oil, gum arabic, and water to a boil.
- It is not normally found in food but - when illegally added - can increase weight and colour of spices such as chilli peppers, saffron, curry powder and paprika.
1.1The orange-yellow color of this.
- It has the familiar, but always appealing, indigo and saffron colour scheme and wooden floor of many modern restaurants.
- She, with her saffron robes and shaven head, embodies and personifies hard-core Hindutva without, at this late stage of her public career, having to make vitriolic speeches.
- A vest that can be worn underneath a monk's saffron robes and tested to withstand a round from a powerful handgun retails for abound 200 U.S. dollars.
2 (also saffron crocus) An autumn-flowering crocus with reddish-purple flowers, native to warmer regions of Eurasia. Enormous numbers of flowers are required to produce a small quantity of the large red stigmas used for the spice.
- Crocus sativus, family Iridaceae. See also meadow saffron
- One of the most special of the autumn flowering crocus is Crocus sativus, the saffron crocus.
- But you can actually buy and grow your saffron crocus, Crocus sativus.
- For example, we learn how the autumn-flowering saffron crocus, which produces the most expensive spice in the world, used to earn its British growers huge fortunes in the 16th century.
- Example sentences
- They have zereshk (barberries) on their chicken pitza, great saffrony rice pudding, great smoky garlicky chicken kabob served over a delicious lentil purée.
Words that rhyme with saffronBiafran
Definition of saffron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia