1An orange-yellow flavoring, food coloring, and dye made from the dried stigmas of a crocus: [as modifier]: saffron buns
More example sentences
- To make the dressing, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, saffron, raisins and their water with sea salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the chicken, onions, cilantro, saffron, cinnamon, butter, oil, gum arabic, and water to a boil.
- It is not normally found in food but - when illegally added - can increase weight and colour of spices such as chilli peppers, saffron, curry powder and paprika.
1.1The orange-yellow color of this.
- It has the familiar, but always appealing, indigo and saffron colour scheme and wooden floor of many modern restaurants.
- She, with her saffron robes and shaven head, embodies and personifies hard-core Hindutva without, at this late stage of her public career, having to make vitriolic speeches.
- A vest that can be worn underneath a monk's saffron robes and tested to withstand a round from a powerful handgun retails for abound 200 U.S. dollars.
2 (also saffron crocus) An autumn-flowering crocus with reddish-purple flowers, native to warmer regions of Eurasia. Enormous numbers of flowers are required to produce a small quantity of the large red stigmas used for the spice.
- Crocus sativus, family Iridaceae. See also meadow saffron
- One of the most special of the autumn flowering crocus is Crocus sativus, the saffron crocus.
- But you can actually buy and grow your saffron crocus, Crocus sativus.
- For example, we learn how the autumn-flowering saffron crocus, which produces the most expensive spice in the world, used to earn its British growers huge fortunes in the 16th century.
- Example sentences
- They have zereshk (barberries) on their chicken pitza, great saffrony rice pudding, great smoky garlicky chicken kabob served over a delicious lentil purée.
Words that rhyme with saffronBiafran
Definition of saffron in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.