Definition of sage grouse in English:
A large grouse of western North America, with long pointed tail feathers, noted for the male’s courtship display in which air sacs are inflated to make a popping sound.
- Centrocercus urophasianus, family Tetraonidae (or Phasianidae)
- Wildlife is plentiful, including jackrabbits, mule deer, elk, pheasant, sage grouse, barn owls, bald and golden eagles, and dozens of species of songbirds.
- Visitors to Grasslands National Park can witness the mating dance of the sage grouse or get a look at the sharp-tailed grouse, Saskatchewan's bird emblem.
- The explorers introduced to science Clark's nutcracker and Lewis's woodpecker, as well as the sage grouse and the lesser Canada goose.
Definition of sage grouse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan