Definition of sagebrush in English:
1A shrubby aromatic North American plant of the daisy family.
- Genus Artemisia, family Compositae: several species, in particular A. tridentata
- In summer months they eat cacti, sagebrush, mesquite, alfalfa, clover, other grasses, and herbaceous vegetation.
- Sideoats grama, buffalo grass, sagebrush, yucca and prickly pear cactus are also common on the canyon floor and walls.
- The sagebrush and yucca plants made the groups course jagged.
1.1Scrub that is dominated by sagebrush, occurring chiefly in semiarid regions of western North America.
- They appear to prefer areas dominated by sagebrush or bitterbrush, with native grasses intermixed, generally avoiding cheatgrass-dominated landscapes.
- A 1945 Forest Service publication declared that in areas where sagebrush had replaced grass, the problem was ‘sick land.’
- Although there is some overlap, dialect regions are generally separated by tracts of mostly unused sagebrush or forested areas.
Definition of sagebrush in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan