Definition of sainfoin in English:
A pink-flowered plant of the pea family that is native to Asia and grown widely for fodder.
- Onobrychis viciifolia, family Leguminosae
- Alongside the orchids other wild flowers such as yellow-wort, sainfoin and stemless thistle grow in abundance.
- Only in Flanders and a few contiguous districts was grain rotated with soil-restoring fodder crops, such as clover, lucerne, and sainfoin, and fallow thus eliminated.
- Conversion of common land to enclosures made possible new practices: creating water meadows and growing new crops such as sainfoin and lucerne to augment supplies of animal winter fodder.
Definition of sainfoin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.