Definition of salal in English:
A North American plant of the heath family, with clusters of pink or white flowers and edible purple-black berries.
- Gaultheria shallon, family Ericaceae
- Amid that sea of sand, islands of forest appear, dense with Sitka spruce and salal and evergreen huckleberry.
- Without pausing she went forward until tall salal, wild spiraea bushes and thorny blackberry wands barred her way.
- Mounds, called hummocks, are the growing medium though which tangles of swamp laurel, Labrador tea, salal and native cranberries and blueberries grow.
Early 19th century: from Chinook Jargon sallal.
Definition of salal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.