Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of salami slicing in English:
noun[mass noun] British informal
The process of gradually reducing the size of something by a series of small incremental steps: several years of false economies from the salami slicing of budgets had created an underlying lack of confidence [as modifier]: public services were sparely run anyway, so salami-slicing cuts were no longer viable
More example sentences
- He voiced worries that today's announcement would not be the last "salami slicing" of the post office network.
- But most have been "salami slicing" - changes at the margins rather than changes in business practices.
- Keep in mind - Eric and I would mildly to strongly disagree on where to stop the salami slicing if this were possible.
- 1salami-slice verb
- Example sentences
- At the moment, his premiership is in danger of being salami-sliced to death.
- Every project that costs anything at all is either cut entirely or salami-sliced, with obvious implications for operational effectiveness.
- The road is salami-sliced into slivers, separated by paramilitary police observation posts at intervals of as little as fifty metres.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.