Definition of salmonella in English:
noun (plural salmonellae-ˈnelē)
1A bacterium that occurs mainly in the intestine, especially a serotype causing food poisoning.
- Large bone infarcts may become secondarily infected with various bacteria, including salmonellae, resulting in osteomyelitis.
- Bacilli and salmonellae were also found to be sensitive to dicyclomine.
- Results of infection by common bacteria such as salmonella, campylobacter and listeria can include vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, or even death.
1.1Food poisoning caused by infection with salmonella bacterium: an outbreak of salmonella
More example sentences
- Inadequate hand hygiene also contributes to food-related illnesses, such as salmonella and E. coli infection.
- Human waste is likely to result in such diseases as e-coli and salmonella and increase the rat population in these areas.
- According to the CSPI, in recent years there have been several outbreaks of both salmonella and E. coli caused by non-pasteurized juices.
- Example sentences
- In 2000, a team at Texas A & M University cloned a bull named ‘86 Squared’ which was naturally resistant to three serious cattle diseases - brucellosis, tuberculosis and salmonellosis.
- Most feral pigeons carry some form of disease, with 90 per cent being infected with the most common, salmonellosis, which can cause salmonella in humans.
- Two babies have died from salmonellosis, caught from their families' pet reptiles.
Modern Latin, named after Daniel E. Salmon (1850–1914), US veterinary surgeon.
Words that rhyme with salmonellaa cappella, Arabella, Bella, bestseller, Capella, cellar, Cinderella, citronella, Clarabella, corella, Daniela, Della, dispeller, dweller, Ella, expeller, favela, fella, fellah, feller, Fenella, Floella, foreteller, Heller, impeller, interstellar, Keller, Louella, Mandela, mortadella, mozzarella, Nigella, novella, paella, panatella, patella, predella, propeller, queller, quinella, repeller, rosella, rubella, Santiago de Compostela, seller, smeller, speller, Stella, stellar, tarantella, teller, umbrella, Viyella
Definition of salmonella in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.