- A fish of the salmon family (Salmonidae).More example sentences
- In addition to the normal spectrum perceived by most vertebrates, several shallow-water species are able to see ultraviolet light; others, such as anchovies, cyprinids, salmonids and cichlids, can even detect polarized light!
- Larger and deeper lakes, with oxygenated hypolimnions, will also have one or two larger salmonids, usually lake trout or landlocked Atlantic salmon, along with burbot and slimy sculpin.
- Sea lice are natural parasites of wild salmonids (salmon and trout) in salt water, feeding on their mucus, skin, and blood.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Salmonidae (plural), based on Latin salmo, salmon- 'salmon'.
More definitions of salmonidDefinition of salmonid in:
- The British & World English dictionary