Definition of salsify in English:
1An edible European plant of the daisy family, with a long root like that of a parsnip. Also called oyster plant.
- Tragopogon porrifolius, family Compositae. See also scorzonera
- Seeds that barely last to the second year include sweet corn, leek, onion, parsley, parsnip, rhubarb and salsify.
- Scolymus, Scolymus hispanicus, is also known as Spanish salsify or Spanish oyster plant, names which it shares with scorzonera Another name, golden thistle, indicates correctly that it is a kind of thistle.
1.1The root of the salsify plant used as a vegetable.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel salsify into long thin curls.
- For my main course I chose the breast of chicken on a bed of roasted salsify, with vegetable ribbons and a green herb and mustard sauce.
- Autumnal vegetables and fruits are sweet and some (celery root, Jerusalem artichoke, salsify, and parsnip) also have earthy, nutty flavors.
Definition of salsify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia