Definition of salsify in English:
1An edible European plant of the daisy family, with a long root like that of a parsnip. Also called oyster plant.
- Tragopogon porrifolius, family Compositae. See also scorzonera
- Seeds that barely last to the second year include sweet corn, leek, onion, parsley, parsnip, rhubarb and salsify.
- Scolymus, Scolymus hispanicus, is also known as Spanish salsify or Spanish oyster plant, names which it shares with scorzonera Another name, golden thistle, indicates correctly that it is a kind of thistle.
1.1The root of the salsify plant used as a vegetable.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel salsify into long thin curls.
- For my main course I chose the breast of chicken on a bed of roasted salsify, with vegetable ribbons and a green herb and mustard sauce.
- Autumnal vegetables and fruits are sweet and some (celery root, Jerusalem artichoke, salsify, and parsnip) also have earthy, nutty flavors.
Definition of salsify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.