Definition of salutation in English:
1A gesture or utterance made as a greeting or acknowledgment of another’s arrival or departure: we greeted them but no one returned our salutations he raised his glass in salutation
More example sentences
- He raised one hand in salutation, welcoming one and all in a melancholy voice.
- I find that nothing makes conversation quite so impossible as greetings and salutations.
- Grenada shares a common Caribbean culture base with many other islands in the Lesser Antilles, including music, literature, greetings and salutations, food, and family structure.
1.1A standard formula of words used in a letter to address the person being written to.
- The email addresses are in the salutation to the letter.
- At one time the conventional letter salutation employed when writing to a business person whose name was unknown was ‘Dear Sir.’
- For example, the undulating pattern of bold word and definition signal a dictionary while the juxtapositioning of date, address and salutation denote a letter.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan