Definition of salutation in English:
1A gesture or utterance made as a greeting or acknowledgment of another’s arrival or departure: we greeted them but no one returned our salutations he raised his glass in salutation
More example sentences
- He raised one hand in salutation, welcoming one and all in a melancholy voice.
- I find that nothing makes conversation quite so impossible as greetings and salutations.
- Grenada shares a common Caribbean culture base with many other islands in the Lesser Antilles, including music, literature, greetings and salutations, food, and family structure.
1.1A standard formula of words used in a letter to address the person being written to.
- The email addresses are in the salutation to the letter.
- At one time the conventional letter salutation employed when writing to a business person whose name was unknown was ‘Dear Sir.’
- For example, the undulating pattern of bold word and definition signal a dictionary while the juxtapositioning of date, address and salutation denote a letter.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.