noun (plural samadhis)Hinduism & Buddhism
1A state of intense concentration achieved through meditation. In Hindu yoga this is regarded as the final stage, at which union with the divine is reached (before or at death).
- He said that for twenty years I had served him well, and that if I did five more years of tapas, religious austerity, I would achieve nirvikalpa samadhi (ultimate meditation).
- This lack of self is related to gnosis but makes me think more of things like yoga's samadhi.
- The term, Zen, is a translation of a Sanskrit term, dhyana, the seventh highest state of consciousness immediately preceding samadhi, the final and non-duality stage described in the eight limbs of yoga.
1.1Indian A funerary monument.
- Chanti refuses to surrender the piece of land, where his father's samadhi lay, to him at any cost.
- The last half an hour is a meditation at the sacred samadhi of Sadhu Vaswani.
- While he is among the five Congress Prime Ministers whose pictures appear in the Congress manifesto, the bjp has put a photograph of Vajpayee with Rao at Rajiv Gandhi's samadhi taken during the 13-day government of Vajpayee.
From Sanskrit samādhi 'contemplation'.
Words that rhyme with samadhicadi, cardy, Guardi, Hardie, hardy, lardy, Mahdi, mardy, Saadi, tardy, Yardie
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of samadhi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.