- A dark brown woodland deer with branched antlers, of southern Asia.
More example sentences
- Cervus unicolor, family Cervidae
- Other large mammals that have vanished are the leopard, the largest species of deer (the sambar and the barking deer), the pig-tailed macaque, and the wild pig.
- The stillness was abruptly shattered by a loud alarm call from a sambar deer.
- Maachli had fought hard to secure rights to an area around the Ranthambhore lakes, which are prime hunting grounds, full of sambar, spotted deer and wild boar.
late 17th century: from Hindi sābar, from Sanskrit śambara.
- A spicy southern Indian dish consisting of lentils and vegetables.More example sentences
- We were shown the clean and modern kitchen where, in huge vats, rice and sambar were cooked for distribution to 43,000 schoolchildren.
- Garnished with an array of chutneys and delicious sambar, the end product is simply scrumptious for the food aficionado.
- There is rice and sambhar every day, but different vegetables are used over the week and there are regular supplements.
from Tamil cāmpār, via Marathi from Sanskrit sambhāra 'collection, materials'.