nounUS & South African
- Coarsely ground corn, or porridge made from this.More example sentences
- Within no time at all, bags of mealie-meal, rice, samp & beans, sugar and vegetables started pouring in.
- Sour milk porridge with sugar for pudding, crumbly phutu squeezed into a ball with my fingers and dipped into gravy, samp (broken maize kernels) boiled with beans, all favourites, and the gastronomic mixing of cultures didn't end there.
- The food was distributed after a short service and hymns, while token holders patiently queued to collect their parcels which consisted of mealie meal, flour, sugar, samp, beans, oil and salt.
mid 17th century: from Narragansett nasamp.
More definitions of sampDefinition of samp in:
- The British & World English dictionary